This blog covers our wait, travel, and adjustment to our 4 year old adopted Chinese daughter Sarah Shui Qing from Nanjing. There are over 1000 posts. I have moved my blog to Catching Butterflies 2. I hope you will enjoy reading this blog. It has alot of information on Special needs adoption. Follow us to our new address Catching Butterflies 2! Thank you for reading!

Wednesday, March 08, 2006


For many years people have argued over the question "when does life begin?". I ask a similar question, "when does an adoption begin?". Today the UPS man delivered an envelope to my next door neighborers house. It was, thank God, unmarked. I am not ready to announce to them we are paper pregnant . The envelope contains all the important papers we need to sign for the adoption agency. Everything we must do in order to begin the adoption process. Clearly this adoption process was not started when the UPS man came knocking! For me it began over 20 years ago with a dream. I can not say what year it was, but once I had a dream. I was standing on the side of a very busy road. On this road there was what I would describe as a river of bicycles. I knew even then that this was China. I also knew God had something special for me to do in China. Many of you know this is not our first adoption. It is, if fact our third. My oldest daughter Jessica wrote once that her father works too much and that her mothers hobby is collecting children. I've read a great deal about Chinese orphans. I've been strongly influenced by books like "The Lost Daughters of China" by Karin Evans, and " Wanting a Daughter needing a Son" by Kay Ann Johnson. These books describe the situation in China, the one child policy that makes it necessary for many Chinese people (especially those who work on poor farms) to abandon their daughters. I guess you could say I felt the "call" to parent one of these girls. Juergen has struggled pretty hard agents this calling. Our house is full, crazy, and very very busy! Certainly no one would expect us to adopt again. I am sure most people would strongly advise us not to do this. I personally tried to consider this very sound and logical advice. But I felt called! The longing did not go away, it grew stronger and stronger.Poor Juergen! I thank God he decided to consider the possibility. He thought and thought. He prayed and prayed. He finally decided we could do this. He finally said "yes"! I would say the adoption began with the words "yes"!