This blog covers our wait, travel, and adjustment to our 4 year old adopted Chinese daughter Sarah Shui Qing from Nanjing. There are over 1000 posts. I have moved my blog to Catching Butterflies 2. I hope you will enjoy reading this blog. It has alot of information on Special needs adoption. Follow us to our new address Catching Butterflies 2! Thank you for reading!

Tuesday, March 28, 2006




Juergen (my husband) has a new favorite saying. It goes "It's better to light a candle than curse the darkness." This quotation is widely attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt. Adlai Stevenson used a version of the proverb when he spoke before the United Nations General Assembly in 1962, in praise of the First Lady and her lifelong efforts to promote human rights. It seems that the origin of the quote is a Chinese Proverb, which reads, 'Don't curse the darkness - light a candle.' (Most sources reference Confucius as its author). This proverb was written in a picture book on China. Juergen gave this book to me two years ago for Christmas. I told him even then he was only adding fuel to the fire! We know this world is full of darkness, but it gives us so much joy to be adopting once more. I am sure our little Sarah will be a bright candle to everyone around her... us included!