This blog covers our wait, travel, and adjustment to our 4 year old adopted Chinese daughter Sarah Shui Qing from Nanjing. There are over 1000 posts. I have moved my blog to Catching Butterflies 2. I hope you will enjoy reading this blog. It has alot of information on Special needs adoption. Follow us to our new address Catching Butterflies 2! Thank you for reading!

Sunday, July 23, 2006


Yesterday Juergen and I worked really hard getting a few things done around the house. When we went to bed, we were exhausted, but really happy. We felt the feeling of satisfaction that only comes when you have accomplished something. When our son Thomas joined our family two years ago, he was like a 3 year old baby in the body of a 7 year old boy. He almost did not know how to do anything for himself. He could not spread butter on bread (the nannies did that). He could not dress himself the nannies did that). He couldn't even properly wipe his own bottom after he used the toilet. He did not like me for a very long time, because I made him spread his own butter, and wipe his own bottom! I could have made things easy for Thomas. I could have gotten him Velcro shoes. I bought him shoes with laces. I felt a 7 year old should know how to tie his own shoes. He cried when he saw his new shoes. He cried harder when I wouldn't tie them for him. I sat with him for hours helping him learn to tie his shoes, but I refused to do it for him! I remember the day he came out of school running to tell me the great news. His shoes had come undone during school time, and he tied them himself. He experienced (maybe for the first time in his life) this feeling of satisfaction that comes when you accomplish something! I don't blame the nannies for doing everything for him. When you have 300 kids to take care of, it is just easier to do it yourself. It takes allot of time to teach a child life skills. This is one reason why I believe the best orphanage could never replace a family. Good parents take the time to teach their children what they need to know. Unfortunate their are too many people in this world treating their kids like orphans. They deprive them of this amazing feeling of satisfaction that comes with true accomplishment!

PS. Thomas is doing really well and I am very proud of him!