This blog covers our wait, travel, and adjustment to our 4 year old adopted Chinese daughter Sarah Shui Qing from Nanjing. There are over 1000 posts. I have moved my blog to Catching Butterflies 2. I hope you will enjoy reading this blog. It has alot of information on Special needs adoption. Follow us to our new address Catching Butterflies 2! Thank you for reading!

Sunday, August 20, 2006


I'm reprinting this funny story just written by an online friend named Karen. She just returned from China with her second Chinese child.

____________________________________________________________________


Gary and I took the kids out to eat Chinese last night and afterwards we
stopped at the *Super* Only A Buck store. Cameron wanted a balloon so Gary
went
to that side of the store and bought him a balloon while I went shopping
with the two girls.

Gary went ahead and checked out and he and Cam headed for the car. Well..
after the girls and I finished shopping, I get to the counter and the cashier
says, *Is your name Karen*? I tell her yes and she says that my husband
wanted me to give her the 2 pennies that he was short to pay for the balloon.
Gary is parked right in front of the door and the girls wanted to go out with
him while I checked out so I said Ok.

After they went out the door the conversation started!
Cashier: Mam, can I ask you a question?

Me: Sure.

Cashier: The little girl with black hair... is she ummmmmmmm your daughter?

Me: Yes. She is.

Cashier: But she is ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Me: Chinese?

Cashier: YES! Chinese. Ummmmm can I ask you another question?

Me: Yes.. sure....

Cashier: I see you have TWO Chinese children and a red haired daughter.
This must be your second marriage?

Me: Yes... as a matter of fact, it is my second marriage.

Cashier: I thought so because your children are Chinese. I knew
your first husband had to be Chinese.

Me: No. My first husband was NOT Chinese (a dirt bag but no, not Chinese
is what I wanted to say... but didn't... hehehehehe).

Cashier: BUT your children are Chinese? How did that happen?!?!?!

Me: I went to China and adopted them!

Cashier: YOU went to CHINA??? YOU Adopted THEM?

Me: Yes, I went to China and I adopted them.

Cashier: So, they are like.. ummmmmmmm... brother and sister?

Me: Yes, they are brother and sister.

Cashier: How old are they?

Me: They are both 4 years old.

Cashier: Oh they are twins????

Me: No, they are not twins.

Cashier: BUT they are brother and sister and both from China and the same
age... and they are not twins???

Me: No they are not twins... yes, they are brother and sister.

Cashier: WOW! China is like so far from here. Was it really different
there? I mean.. .is it like the US??

Me: Yes, it is a LONG way and YES it is VERY different there.

Cashier: Really?? Like, tell me, how is it different there??

Me: Well... for one thing they don't speak ENGLISH there!!!!

Cashier: Wow... how weird.

Me: Yeah... weird. Have a nice night....

Got in the car and said to Gary.... *Here's Your Sign*!! He was about to
choke he was laughing so hard when I told him the story!!! It is the first
time I have ever been asked if I used to married to a man from China. I had to
try HARD to keep from falling over laughing in her face!!!