This blog covers our wait, travel, and adjustment to our 4 year old adopted Chinese daughter Sarah Shui Qing from Nanjing. There are over 1000 posts. I have moved my blog to Catching Butterflies 2. I hope you will enjoy reading this blog. It has alot of information on Special needs adoption. Follow us to our new address Catching Butterflies 2! Thank you for reading!

Friday, June 15, 2007

"Are we there yet"? I remember being crowed into the back of the family car without seatbelts or air conditioning for long summer trips. The destination was the goal. The journey was just something to get through. I've been on a journey with Sarah and I hear my heart shouting "are we there yet"? If attachment is the goal, I'm afraid the answer is "not yet"! Last night she almost fell asleep in my arms. Then Juergen walked into the room. Sarah woke up, kicked me and said in Chinese, "I don't want Mama"! Some times I feel like I'm just another care taker. I'm just one of the many people she has allowed to take care of her. She likes me OK, but that’s as far as it goes. Juergen is her parent. She marked him like a baby bird, and he is the real deal. I know all of this will change over time but we are not "there" yet. I just want people to be realistic about this whole attachment thing! It can be a very long trip for a parent to find a real place in the heart of their child. This morning I'm taking a coffee break, and I'm getting back into the car!