This blog covers our wait, travel, and adjustment to our 4 year old adopted Chinese daughter Sarah Shui Qing from Nanjing. There are over 1000 posts. I have moved my blog to Catching Butterflies 2. I hope you will enjoy reading this blog. It has alot of information on Special needs adoption. Follow us to our new address Catching Butterflies 2! Thank you for reading!

Saturday, November 24, 2007


When I was a child I remember a Christmas my brother got a football helmet, shoulder pads, a Dallas Cowboys jersey, and a new football. All I got was a new night gown, house coat, and slippers. I was so jealous. Last night I was kissing the boys good night. I noticed Thomas had a page of the Lego catalog taped to the wall next to his bed. I asked him what he wanted for Christmas. He said he wanted the whole page of Lego. After all, you just know "so and so" is going to get the whole page of Lego for Christmas. I said I'm not spending that much money on you. It was like $300 worth of Lego. Even if I have the money, I think that is way too much to spend on each child. There are far too many children in this world going to sleep on dirt floors with empty stomachs for me to justify such a purchase. You could see the look of disappointment on his face. I know what's going to happen next. Thomas is going to try to convince Philip and even Sarah they want the other pieces of Lego on that page. In his own way he is trying to keep up with the "Jones". That has everything to do with self worth. Thomas was not adopted until he was 7 years old. He still thinks it's his cool stuff that makes him worth something. The other kids at school re enforce that idea. I want to give him Jesus, but that is one gift he doesn't want...at least not yet. I don't think he will truely understand his worth until he sees himself the way God sees him. He is worth everything.