This blog covers our wait, travel, and adjustment to our 4 year old adopted Chinese daughter Sarah Shui Qing from Nanjing. There are over 1000 posts. I have moved my blog to Catching Butterflies 2. I hope you will enjoy reading this blog. It has alot of information on Special needs adoption. Follow us to our new address Catching Butterflies 2! Thank you for reading!

Monday, May 14, 2007


I just started rereading a book called "Attaching in Adoption" by Deborah Gray. There is a chapter on Trauma. I think a great deal of Sarah’s behavior comes from Trauma. The book says that it is best to work on attachment and then on trauma issues. A child needs to feel attached to you before they are safe enough to deal with the stress and trauma of their past. When Sarah froze and failed to go home during the rain storm this morning she really looked like someone who had experienced some traumatic experience. She is also peeing in her pants 4 or 5 times per day now. She never did that before. It is as if she is testing me to see if I will punish her for wetting her pants. I keep saying to her "it does not matter". I really hate to think what she has experienced. She has some real fear! I hope we can manage to help her feel really safe, and that God can heal all those fears. I will keep reading and tell you anything I find helpful.