This blog covers our wait, travel, and adjustment to our 4 year old adopted Chinese daughter Sarah Shui Qing from Nanjing. There are over 1000 posts. I have moved my blog to Catching Butterflies 2. I hope you will enjoy reading this blog. It has alot of information on Special needs adoption. Follow us to our new address Catching Butterflies 2! Thank you for reading!

Monday, April 09, 2007

We were picked up in a large van by our guide Michael. He speaks very good English and is very good at what he does. We waited about 10 or 15 minutes for Sarah to arrive at the civil service office. She arrived with the chief nanny and she was really afraid. She is very tiny, and very beautiful! We didn't rush her. We wanted to just give her a chance to warm up to us. We first played with the magna doodle, and then with the bubbles. She was fine until I tried to hold her. Then she cried pretty hard. Her tears really got to Nicole who also began to cry. I managed to keep my head straight. I know that if they cry, it generally means they were well cared for. She was loved...this is very clear. What is also clear is that she is very smart. She tried to get her nanny to take her back to the children's home. She said they could go get other children to also come with us! After finishing the papers, we went to take the official 'parents with child' picture that is part of the adoption process. She cried through this as well. Finally we left without her nanny, and she also cried.
When we returned to the hotel, Mom took care of the other kids while Juergen and I walked to KFC with Sarah and Michael. Juergen carried her and she cried a little, but also seemed fascinated by everything around her. She has hardly been out of the orphanage and all this was new to her. Yesterday I found a street that sells toys. We first went there. I asked her if she would like a doll. Juergen first didn't think this was a good idea but Sarah thought this was a very good idea. The doll was the ice breaker. We sat in the restaurant dressing and undressing the doll. She loved this. She also said she needed to use the toilet. I took her, and she managed to sit on the toilet all by her self, no problem. When we left the KFC, she was holding my hand. As we walked on the street, I picked her up and held her. She loved this, and even sang me songs. She was getting very tired, so we returned to the hotel. We tried to put her down for a nap, and the tears returned big time. Finally she fell asleep in Juergens arms. She seems to go to both of us, but she is sad. It will take a few days, but I'm sure she will be OK. I'm so grateful my Mom is here to keep an eye on the other kids. I will write more later. She has a broken heart, so please pray for our sweet Sarah. She is so wonderful! She is absolutely wonderful!!!